I’ve decided that this top just doesn’t want to be quilted…. at least not yet.
This quilt top was the product of the Muscat Quilt Group’s mystery project while was there. I finished it in time, and was all set to quilt it when the movers came and packed up my machine and frame……. and then we lived among the boxes for four months.
When I got my sewing room set up last year in Norway, I put it up on the design wall. I would whisper to it – and it would tell me what it needed. Dead silence!
Finally I needed the wall for something else, so took it down to the frame. I would set it up, and stabilize the borders to keep it square……. with this intimate interaction, surely I would discover what it needed, or at least have some ideas.
Took a while, but I finally got it started. Working with my ruler after a long absence, using a fine thread on a fairly plain background………. Some good feathers, but some tension problems on the back. I must have stretched the backing a bit too, as the front was a bit wrinkly. The imperfection of my straight lines was too glaring, so off it came and out came the stitches.
Darker thread, straighter lines, careful attention to the tension of both backing and quilt top. Lines much straighter, feathers in the corners, ideas working for stippling on the top….. I even used the ruler to make an interweaving diamond design in the outer border. Tension working well……….wrinkles in the backing!
Off the frame came this quilt again……. and as the packers should be here very soon now, I dismantled the frame, taking the quilt upstairs to unsew in front of the fireplace.
When I finally get into my new home and have my quilt machine and frame set up again, I will try to talk some sense into this quilt top. Until then, I guess it is still a mystery.