This morning at Hanne’s, I finished sewing the binding and hanging sleeve on my Three Ladies. It is so nice to finally have something done.This is a copy of a painting by the Indian painter, B. Prabha. My friend, Paramjeet Bawa, came up with an interesting and quite simple technique for using reverse applique to produce this painting-like effect with fabrics. She taught me and several friends in Muscat before we left. Everyone else had their project completed soon afterwards, and showed them off at the meeting of the Muscat Quilting Group. Mine is done now – and looking for a special wall to hang on. Better late than never, eh?
I have also caught up on the monthly block from the Rogaland Quiltelag – the local Norwegian quilt guild that I am attending. The first one was all paper pieced – the second had some as well. It is not my favourite technique, but I am sold on the ease one can get fine lines and sharp points that are impossible to do by piecing.
I’m having my usual bit of trouble with value – bright colours always read as light to me, even when they are not. The star was finished when I really noticed….. and I think I did a bit better in the other two blocks. I used my camera in black & white mode to get a better idea of the values, and came up with this compromise.Block three was all pieced – and fun to do.
I’m beginning a winter mystery quilt – actually two table runners. The first set of instructions was just to select the fabrics, and cut a few 8 1/2″ squares….. now I have to wait for the beginning of October for the next set of instructions. I got this delightful Christmas cat fabric in a small country shop near Vancouver a year ago – and hope it will work as my light fabric. With all the old things I’m trying to clean up, I needed something new to tackle as well – and this shouldn’t take that much time.
I’m starting to do the quilting on the Santa’s sleigh wall hanging now, and hope to have it finished soon as well.
It’s nice to be sewing again.