Would you believe that I spent all morning yesterday fighting with those butterflies. I’d decided to use my free motion foot so I wouldn’t have to keep twisting the quilt top around. Every inch or so, the metallic thread would shred. I changed feet….. no luck. I went slowly…. I went quickly. i finally got the top and antenna of a large butterfly done… only to find that the corner of the quilt top had been folded over, and I had to unsew it all.
I had a nap! In the evening, I worked on my class sketches.
This morning, after trying one more time with a different free motion foot, I put my applique foot back on the machine! Voila! Sewing like a charm, unless I tried to push it backwards or sideways. I guess, any extra pressure on the thread cuts the metallic winding. Twirling the quilt around so I was only sewing forward, I was done in no time at all.
Top is all finished now, backing is ready, all I need to do is cut the batting the right size and load-her-up.
All is good again….. and I’m not afraid to use this thread for the quilting now. Whew!